Alumnae in Science in the 1940's
Betty Prescott ‘40 spent two years as an assistant in the physics lab at Wilson before becoming a spectroscopist at the Spectroscopy Laboratories of the Bell Telephone Co. in 1942. By 1972, she had co-authored many research papers and was pleased that Bell had a quota system for hiring women “to preserve its image an as equal opportunity employer”. There were 76 professional women and 1000 men.
Francis Dunkle ‘43 earned a PhD in Physical Chemistry from Cornell University. She worked with the National Advisory Committee of the Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory which officially became NASA in 1958.